[vdr] VDR on dbox2.

My goal is, to have one PC-based VDR machine in the house
that contains hard disks, makes the corresponding noise,
is responsible for all recordings and serves them via NFS.

In other rooms, I would like to have dbox2-based diskless
VDR machines that make absolutely no noise and can replay
all recordings from the central "VDR server" at perfect
quality.

Here is an overview on the status:

Alexander Olk has created a VDR patch in June 2003, that makes
some VDR functions (mainly zapping) work on a dbox2.
Alexander has done a lot of remarkable work, such as getting
the OSD to work via the framebuffer device, making the dbox2
remote control available via a plugin, etc.
Unfortunately, it seems like Alexander has given up at that
point. I have tried and failed to get in touch with him via
e-mail. I do not know if Alexander has a later version locally
than his vdr-1.2.1 patch that can be found in the cdk CVS.

Dieter Bloms has adapted Alexander's patch to VDR 1.2.6 in
January.

I have tried to get replay of existing recordings to work.
With some success (Thanks to Klaus' and Andreas Oberritter's advice).
With my current version of the patch, some recordings play just fine,
some don't. FF/FR does not yet work, +-1 minute skips sometimes work.
I will continue to work on this as time permits.
Any help is more than welcome.

Here is what you need to do in order to get VDR kind-of running
on a dbox2:

*  Check out the tuxbox cdk CVS.
   See http://cvs.tuxbox.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/tuxbox/cdk/doc/INSTALL.en?rev=HEAD

*  Make the following changes:
   o   in cdk/rules-archive and cdk/rules-make locate the vdr lines and
       change the version number to 1.2.6
   o   in cdk/Patches/busybox.config enable the "find -type" option:
         CONFIG_FEATURE_FIND_TYPE=y
   o   replace cdk/Patches/vdr.diff with my latest version
       (mail me and I'll send it to you)

*  Run
      make all
   and
      make .vdr

*  Boot your dbox2 from the created images (NFS root).
   See http://www.dietmar-h.net/linux.html

*  I added a "start_vdr" script to /etc/init.d on the dbox.
   Something like this:

#!/bin/sh
syslogd
vdr -s /sbin/halt -L /lib/vdr/plugins -D 0 -E - -P remote -P dbox2 -v /video -w 0
reboot

   May work as a start point. You may want to put the configuration files
   somewhere else, mount /video from your VDR server, etc, as needed.

*  I start this automatically at boot time (via the "maintenance" boot
   menu item) using the following  additional line in etc/init.d/start:
        test "$RC" -eq 3 && /etc/init.d/start_vdr

Carsten.