[vdr] Re: Deinterlacing

On Saturday 19 June 2004 19:52, Emil Naepflein wrote:
> No, screendoor is depending on the fill factor of the pixels of the

What exactly is the screendoor effect (sorry for my ignorance)
- maybe a german term?
Is it the visibility of the individual pixels even if the color is the same?
Then it is here invisible at >1.5 screen width.

I have an Acer PD320 (DLP) and i'am quite satisfied with the display - whether
in video mode or in VGA mode - it displays even 1280x1024 (interpolated) in a
nice quality - i didn't consider to reduce my X-resolution to native
resolution for a minute.

Brightness and contrast is good, at least i'am satisfied (1200 ANSI,500:1) if
the sun is not directly shining into the room - all the white walls...

The only thing is the noise it makes (36dB) - maybe CRTs are better here but
on the  other side i read the mentioned one in this thread has just 750 "peak
ANSI lumens"  which sounds quite dark.
But i wonder why they can have such extremely high contrast ratios (beside
that the room has to be really dark to make use of them).

> Because it is the best unit in my environment. For a CRT projector you
> need a dedicated room to optimize everything to the limit. My projector
> is setup in a normal living room and is absolutely hidden by a projector
> lift just like the screen which is a tab-tensioned DaLite High Contrast
> Cinema Vision. Both move out and in to the ceiling on a press of a
> button. The 1.500 Lumen and the anamorphic lens I use give a punch of

Well - that really sounds like a "normal" living room ;-))

> the picture even if it is not completely dark. And if it is completely
> dark you see absolutley no screen door from our viewing distance of
> about 1.8 screen width. The image is just as seemless like with a CRT
> projector. Believe me, I have seen a great number of different setups at
> dealers and other HT enthusiasts and I am still happy with my setup.
> Each decision is finally a compromise.

Well - and i assume the price is the most  important factor - not everybody
has the money to screw something the price of a decent car to the ceiling and
hopefully have a good insurance!

> It has absolutely nothing to do with the PJ because I tested everything
> with standard TVs taking the native RGB signal (of course with proper
> termination). The noise was to large for me an the S-video was clean.

BTW - the DVB-S has just a cinch plug - that is a composite signal not
S-Video?

> Most of the recordings I have are recorded with 704x576 anamorphic with
> data rates of more than 3.5 Mbps. Only a few recordings have are
> resolution of 480x576. I never saw a transmission with the low

My PJ autodetects the output of the DVB-S as 680x554 (viewing PAL material) so
the resolution is already interpolated once and a view pixels cut away...

Guido

Home | Main Index | Thread Index