[vdr] Re: epia + VGA output

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 20:07, Nicolas Huillard wrote:
> Thomas Glomann a écrit :
> > epia-m 6000 (passive cooled cpu) together w/ a ff card works perfectly.
> > Didn't try any of the soft plugins like but i think the 600 Mhz C3 is not
> > fast
>
> softdevice + DirectFB could do it (still a little tuning to do in the
> plugin to get it smooth, but I get 40-50% CPU on my 1Ghz Nehemiah, so
> 600Mhz should do it)
If it's up to 50 % at 1 Ghz then it is probably 80-90% at 600 Mhz. hm. might
work but I wouldn't count on it. not much room for any other tasks. imagine
mp3 playback with live background. ssh sessions running in the
background. ...  however, there are some howtos to get a 1 Ghz passively
cooled I think.

> vdr-xine + Xv + XvMC is reported to work : 20-30% CPU @ 1Ghz.

oh, it really works? but you would need X wouldn't you? I rather prefer the
softdevice + DFB solution with hardware decoding. I was following your posts
about that and it seemed that you didn't have any success so far.

> If you don't want nfs-root, Seagate Baracuda drives or Samsung ones (not
> tested) are really very quiet (both spin whizz and seek movements).

the samsung drive is indeed very quiet, I recently bought one for my server.
and they are cheap , too :)  however, seagate offers 5 years of warranty
which is something to consider.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index