[vdr] Re: Is EPG data encrypted?

> Hi,
>
> (If you don't care why I'm asking, skip to the "Here's my question"
> paragraph, and sorry if this question is not 100% on-topic)
>
> I am using a TechnoTrend FF DVB-C card with VDR and VDRadmin, and it
> works absolutely perfectly. Many thanks to Klaus and everybody else
> contributing.
>
> Since I am a bit of a series freak (Friends, Simpsons, Car is Born)
> I am using the "auto timer" of VDRadmin to make sure that the shows
> are grabbed even when stations change their schedules. Which they
> do all too often.
>
> The cable service is almost 100% encrypted and the charge per card
> is too high for buying another. So I am perfectly happy with having
> one subscription for that one DVB card.
>
> What I'd like, though, is to have a budget card whose sole job would
> be to do EPG scans. Recording a 2+ hour movie can easily have you
> miss a show on Discovery Channel, as their shows mostly run one
> hour or less. Within that 2 hour movie I could miss an episode of
> "A Car is Born" which I would probably prefer to record instead of
> the movie.
>
> Here's my question: all channels are encrypted, and one DVB card
> with a CAM is busy recording something. Would it be possible for
> a budget card without a CAM/subscription to do EPG scans
> simultaneously?
>
> (That is, is the EPG data contained in the encrypted data stream
> or is it always unencrypted?)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Best regards,
> Klaus.

Ever tried to check EPG for a channel not included in your subscription?
Works for me, so I guess it's not encrypted.

I'm not sure about this, but if you have a card connected to your ff-card,
shouldn't you be able to access it and use it from a budget-card in the same
machine?

/Anders

Home | Main Index | Thread Index