[vdr] Re: Fastest way to compress VDR movies ?

Am Samstag 25 September 2004 16:49 schrieb Gregoire Favre:
> Hello,
>
> I can create a whole DVD using
> http://vdrsync.vdr-portal.de/developer.html and the more up to date one
> I put under
> http://magma.epfl.ch/greg/linux/vdrsync-snap20.tgz
> in about FIVE minutes (I have a really good computer) :-)
>
> Now I would like to compress my recordings (I am not foccused to one
> particular format as long as I can play it back on my gentoo) with the
> fastest way...

the question is how small it should become.

> Is there for example I way I could use pipe ?
> Some format recommendation ? (ogm, matroska, ???)

that are containers only, no codec involved yet ;)

> Thank you very much and have a great day ;-)

the fastest way to compress it to mpeg4 or kind of it, is to use mencoder and
depending on how you want to watch it or for what purpose, scale it down to
nearly vcd resolution. This way i get 35-40 frames per second on my 1,1 Ghz
Duron, with a faster machine it should be a lot faster. But as i said it
depends what you would want as result. requantisize is a lot faster (most
likely the harddisk is the criteria for the speed), but depends on the
material and the compression ratio.

Steffen

Home | Main Index | Thread Index