[vdr] Re: Linear volume response in VDR

Hi,

>An alternate proposal would be:
>    Vol = Volume + (255*Volume - Volume*Volume)* q / 65025
> Q is a free parameter in this quadratic variant. For q=0, this is the
> linear identity as before, and for q=255 this has a gradient of 0 at
> 255. All q=0..255 should work, and theres always 0->0 and 255->255.

Which is pretty much what I did in my nessy patch long ago ;o)) It was
only a little more complex because I also added an adjustable balance
control. The q value was user adjustable as a sensitivity control in my
case.

> Of course, if anyone knows what kind of non-linearity is behind the
> volume control, this would be even better.

Nope, I have NO idea. IIRC it only applied to the newer TT cards.
The Rev 1.3 (it's been a LONG time) doesn't have the problem of
non linear volume.

Greets,
Reinhard

---