[linux-dvb] cx2388x support - 90002

Gerd Knorr kraxel at bytesex.org
Tue Apr 26 10:34:33 CEST 2005

Steve Toth <steve at toth.demon.co.uk> writes:

> We get lots of frustrated traffic on the list from people who can't
> get the product to work, or only works if you want to build the kernel
> and repatch with DVB and the latest V4l. The V4l project itself, no
> longer has a maintainer. A good number of users are confused, that's
> bad for the product.

The by far easiest way for the users is to simply take a vanilla
kernel.org tarball and have it "just work".  Most of my dvb/v4l stuff
is in 2.6.12-rc now, especially the ts/dvb code, so with 2.6.12 we
should be much closer to that goal.

> Does anyone have a good reason why the standalone PCI bridge driver
> should not be submitted for inclusion into the linux dvb tv project,
> to simplify DVB product support?

Having two drivers for the same hardware isn't a good idea IMHO.  It's
confusing for the users as well, and I'd prefeare to have _one_
well-tested code base.

Also note that there are combo cards, which support both analog and
digital tv.  At the moment only using the saa7134 chip, but the
cx2388x can do that in theory as well, and I wouldn't be surprised to
see such cards soon ...

  Gerd

--
#define printk(args...) fprintf(stderr, ## args)