[linux-dvb] Development of a mobile system for automatic positioning of a dish antenna.

Johannes Stezenbach js at linuxtv.org
Wed Aug 3 01:20:43 CEST 2005

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 Guy Roussin wrote:
> For an itinerant platform we are trying to develop a simple system for
> automatic positioning of a satellite dish antenna equipped with motors and
> a linux PC with
> dvb-s card, digital compass, inclinometer and GPS.
>
> The dvb-s card (budget ?) will have to enable us to automatically recognize
> the satellite, it will have also to provide us a maximum of information on
> the quality of the signal, polarization and all that could facilitate the
> automatic positioning.
>
> Can you advise us on a dvb-s card which has adequate qualities and which
> would
> be well recognized under linux?

I hope you found the Wiki on linuxtv.org, it has plenty of information
in supported cards.

This sounds like a fun project, but I think there's a problem:
Digital demodulators will only give you useful signal status
information when they are already locked to a signal. You can
then optimize the dish pointing by using the signal indicators
provided by the demodulator. But the dish angle where the signal is
strong enough is rather narrow, which makes it difficult to use
this for seeking the satellte. I think that using analog equipment
is better for this job.

HTH,
Johannes