[linux-dvb] Q: dvb api 3 - FE_ATSC

Patrick Boettcher patrick.boettcher at desy.de
Mon Aug 22 22:06:32 CEST 2005

Hi,
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Rainer.scherg wrote:
> 2.) As I understand it, FE_ATSC can support VSB_x and QAM_x modulation.
> Do I have to crosscheck against  FE_CAN_QAM_xxx to distinguish between
> QAM and VSB? Or is FE_ATSC always VSB_xx modulation?

In ATSC the modulation type can be 8VSB for over the air DTV and QAM64 or
QAM256 for Digital Cable.

> 3.) ATSC frequency is basically given in Hz?
> Does this also apply for satellites? (compared to QSPK (DVB-S) )
> (--> Integer range!)

As far as I know, there is no new Digital satelite modulation in ATSC
standards. (I can be wrong) Using DSS is ATSC region is likely. Although
ATSC's PSIP table can carry information about satelite-reception.

regards,
Patrick.

   Mail: patrick.boettcher at desy.de