[linux-dvb] How to compile the firmware into the driver?

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Sun Dec 4 16:33:08 CET 2005

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 04, 2005, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>
>>I have downloaded the latest driver snapshot from
>>
>>  http://linuxtv.org/downloads/snapshots/v4l-dvb-20051202.tar.gz
>>
>>and the latest firmware from
>>
>>  http://linuxtv.org/downloads/firmware/dvb-ttpci-01.fw-2622
>>
>>and expanded the driver source into
>>
>>  /home/kls/vdr/DVB-v4l-dvb.2005-12-02
>>

>>What is the simplest method to build this driver and have
>>it compile the firmware into it?
>>
>>I tried writing
>>
>>CONFIG_DVB_AV7110_FIRMWARE=y
>>CONFIG_DVB_AV7110_FIRMWARE_FILE=./dvb-ttpci-01.fw
>

> We agreed to drop support for this during the merge of the trees
> (there was some build problem, can't remember what it was,
> but I thought no one uses this anyway so let's drop it).

Does this mean that it should no longer be possible to compile
the firmware into the driver? Well, apparently it _is_ possible,
so please don't drop this - it's the way I want to do this, because
this hotplug stuff may be good for a user system, but on my system
I want to be able to easily switch driver versions by simply
setting a symlink.

I've decided to give the dvb-kernel driver another chance today,
so please don't scare me away from it again ;-)

Klaus