[linux-dvb] iVOGUE DVB20 USB box?

Patrick Boettcher patrick.boettcher at desy.de
Sun Jul 10 20:21:07 CEST 2005

Hi Georg,

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, Georg Sassen wrote:
> yesterday I got this thing and now I'm trying to make it work somehow.
> http://www.pcstore.de/storeshop/artikeldet.php?proid=5518

Never saw this box, it seems to be a new one.

> It has a red and a green LED inside and an infrared remote control receiver,
> I haven't opened it yet.
> lsusb says:
> Bus 005 Device 002: ID 15f4:0001 HanfTek HanfTek UMT-010 USB2.0 DVB-T (cold)

It is clearly not the HanfTek stick, but it claims to have its USB IDs.
Interesting world of USB ID allocation.

HanfTek was very helpful during the last time. I will contact them to
check if they know something about this box.

> after loading the Hanftek firmware:
> Bus 005 Device 004: ID 15f4:0015 HanfTek

The new USB IDs are hardwired in the Firmware.

> Jul 10 19:29:59 piccolo kernel: DVB: registering new adapter (Hanftek UMT-010
> DVB-T USB2.0).
> Jul 10 19:29:59 piccolo kernel: DVB: registering frontend 0 (Zarlink MT352
> DVB-T)...

This can't be an accident. The Box clearly has the MT352 as demod.

> The device seems to be accessible somehow, if I do a "scan file" with file
> being a file with some frequencies in it, the red LED will be lit and it
> seems to scan - but it never finds anything.
> So I got a channels.conf from a friend and tried:
> georg at piccolo:~$ sudo tzap -r RTL
> using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
> tuning to 538000000 Hz
> video pid 0x01b1, audio pid 0x01b2
> status 00 | signal ffb7 | snr 0000 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 |
> status 00 | signal ff00 | snr 0000 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 |
> status 00 | signal ff00 | snr 0000 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 |
> status 00 | signal ff00 | snr 0000 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 |

OK. Most likely the box just uses another tuner than the Hanftek one.

> The next step was to run the original software from the included CD (which
> looks very similar to the Hanftek software) and then warm boot into linux.

Does the original software find any channels in Windows? Can you create a
usblog using http://benoit.papillault.free.fr/usbsnoop/ and try to scan
for channels while recording the traffic.

Please compress the usbsnoop.log and send it to me privately or put it
somewhere fr download.

> Bus 005 Device 002: ID 10b9:2000

Let's hope we can use the firmware from HanfTek... There is probably no
way to distinguish the devices from the cold-state of the FX2 (when having
the same USB IDs), or is there a way?

> Is it worth opening the device and see which chips are in there (and no
> longer being able to give it back)? Or has anyone already done that?

To figure out the tuner maybe, but first do the usblogging, maybe it is

Good luck,

   Mail: patrick.boettcher at desy.de