[linux-dvb] Preliminary examination of lgdt3303 driver.

Mac Michaels wmichaels1 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 12 16:35:19 CEST 2005

I examined the lgdt3303  driver to see if it makes sense to
merge it with the lgdt3302 driver. I don't have a spec
sheet for the 3303 chip so I may have made some errors in
my examination. It may be pin compatible, but it is not
software compatible.

The lgdt3303 is connected to a different PCI interface chip
than the lgdt3302.

Overall the driver structure is nearly identical. Different
registers are used by the 3303 in a lot of places. Some of
the registers are read only in the 3302 and writable in the
3303. A number of new registers are set in the 3303. The
drivers could be combined, but I am not sure how beneficial
that would be.

There is an unusual way of setting up the tuner.

I do not recommend merging the two drivers at this time.

-- Mac