[linux-dvb] [RFC/PATCH] moving commonly used frontend configs to separate drivers

Patrick Boettcher patrick.boettcher at desy.de
Sat Jul 23 15:55:35 CEST 2005

Hi

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> Isn't this what the dvb-pll.c/h stuff was trying to achieve? Or does that have
> drawbacks?

It has some drawbacks (limited to 4bytes and to special configurations of
pll-chip). But Andreas' approach is not just pll-programming, but also
e.g. demod-init-tab.

> One thing though - the 'frontends' dir is a bit of a misnomer - it should
> really be 'demodulators', but we're kinda stuck with it now.  If you did
> this, it would be good to differentiate the non-demodulator code from the
> demodulator code - put it in a subdirectory, or prefix the filenames by
> something..

I second that. Maybe a subdir in frontends (tuner or misc) for
miscellaneous stuff (special pll, silicon tuner, lnb-programming).

Patrick.