[linux-dvb] ves1820 FEC, have problems with cable provider

Andrew de Quincey adq_dvb at lidskialf.net
Sun Jul 24 15:50:13 CEST 2005

> claimed MTBF is surely 5-10 years for such chips.
> more likely your card got overheated in summer in the pc case... ;)
> this would cause chip damage, or electrostatics.

Just to add to this - I see this _very_ frequently with DVB-S cards. After a
while, the signal just degrades more and more. If you replace them with a new
card, perfect signal is restored.

The machines are well ventilated: they're in air conditioned comms. rooms at
multiple sites - I don't think they're overheating. It is a major pain
though :(