[linux-dvb] networked digital tuner project

Brian Kuschak bkuschak at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 11 01:15:09 CEST 2005

I'm writing to see if there is any interest here in a
project I've been considering.  It consists of a
device with a set of digital tuner modules (perhaps 5
or 6) which attach through an FPGA to Ethernet.  The
tuners would be a combination of QAM/VSB and DVB, for
receiving MPEG programming over cable, terrestrial
(US), and FTA DVB satellite.  The filtered MPEG
packets would be sent multicast UDP, and the tuners
could be shared among multiple clients on the network.
 The device would also support I2C commands to the
tuners using control packets. The existing linux DVB
drivers would be used with some modifications.

This would allow: 1) sharing of tuners between
multiple clients, 2) multi-channel video applications,
3) doing things like background scanning,
enhanced-PVR, etc, and 4) easy expansion by just
adding more devices to the LAN.

I haven't been able to find such a device for sale, so
I'm considering rolling my own.  If anyone is
interested, or alternatively if such a thing already
exists, please let me know.

Discover Yahoo!