[linux-dvb] DVB file formats

Marcus Metzler mocm at mocm.de
Thu Jun 16 14:03:50 CEST 2005

    Andrew> On Thursday 16 June 2005 10:40, Robert Schlabbach wrote:
    >> From: "Johannes Stezenbach" <js at linuxtv.org>
    >>
    >> > I would prefer "service", too.  > How about "multiplex"?
    >> Mostly used for dvb-t, but IMHO more generic > than
    >> "transponder".
    >>
    >> Time to check out the ETSI docs. See ETSI EN 300 468 chapter 3
    >> "Definitions
    >>
    >> an abbreviations": | multiplex: stream of all the digital data
    >> carrying one or more services | within a single physical
    >> channel
    >> |
    >> | service: sequence of programmes under the control of a
    >> broadcaster which | can be broadcast as part of a schedule
    >>
    >> Also see Figure 1, which shows the hierarchy:
    >>
    >> Networks -> Multiplexes -> Services -> Components
    >>
    >> So "multiplex" and "service" are the DVB/ETSI defined terms.

    Andrew> Great! Will update the examples later.

    Andrew> BTW: I was thinking last night. Do we actually need to
    Andrew> know all the PMT entries for the services.

    Andrew> On the sample for a channel, I have: es = <pid> <type>
    Andrew> [<language>] [pcr] ...

    Andrew> Where I was expecting there to be a line for each entry in
    Andrew> the PMT.

I haven't followed the entire thread, so I don't know what has already
been discussed. I just wanted to mention that e.g. mythtv uses the
name transport ( as in transport id) for the multiplexes. You may also
have a look at their way to write the DVB information into the mysql
database.
FWIW there is also the format used by my libdvb, which in its latest
version can translate between x-szap, vdr, satcodx, some old nokia
format, an xml format and its own format for representing DVB channel
information.

Marcus

| mocm at metzlerbros.de            | http://www.metzlerbros.de/        |
 |>>>             Quis custodiet ipsos custodies                 <<<|