[linux-dvb] [patch] dvb-bt8xx cleanup

Dominique Dumont domi.dumont at free.fr
Fri Mar 11 10:05:05 CET 2005

Kenneth Aafløy <lists at kenneth.aafloy.net> writes:

> I've moved the card specific bttv cruft out of the dst frontend module,
> so that it can be moved to the other frontends.
>
> Made bt878.c be part of the dvb-bt8xx-pci driver, since there are no other
> users of this module, at least as far as I know.
>
> If no-one objects, I'll put it in cvs for testing.

I'm too new to btxxx to know whether this code reorganisation makes
sense or not and I will not comment on the technical aspect of your
patch.

On my side, I'm working hard with Manu to get de-scrambling working on
Twinhan cards. Making such change right now will make our work much
harder as we do not have yet a fully working prototype. As part of
this work, Manu is also performing some kind of reorganisation in the
dst files. So your patch will clash badly with Manu's work.

>From what I see, a lot of people are working on bt8xx. Some of these
people are doing interesting work, like your patch. But I fear that
the lack of coordination between you will only harm dvb project:
conflicting patches are produced which lead to a lot of integration
work for other developers. Johannes's work is also probably harder
without coordination between developers.

So, could you please:
- check with the list on the purpose and scope of your patch before
  sending it to the list (or actually working on it) ?
- check with other people involved with btxxx developement whether
  this is the *right* time to perform such a work ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that your patch is wrong and is to
be rejected, just that the timing could be better.

Best regards