[linux-dvb] mobile phone kills satellite

Simon Robert simon.robert at oldhouse-cottage.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 05:14:40 CET 2005

Hi there
this is somewhat periphial to the list, so apologies. I was viewing
satellite TV, skystar2 and kaffeine, with my PC under the desk and my
mobile phone on top of the desk. I recieved a text message which created
the interference noise you hear when the mobile is close to a radio and
polls its network, "mumble mumble bleep" type sound, or whatever it is
that it's doing. Then the picture froze and the sound cut out on
kaffeine. Closing and re-starting didn't do anything and there didn't
seem to be any processes to kill. Kaffeine seemed OK, I could change
channels and so on, but no sound and vision.

I rebooted the PC and everything was OK again. Does anyone know why this
happened? Could it be "dangerous", like damaging the skystar card or
other components? It'd be interesting to now.

Thanks

.