[linux-dvb] Question regarding Air2PC r3 (Nxt2002 based)...answer may have implications for Nxt200x driver

CityK CityK at rogers.com
Thu Oct 27 23:35:35 CEST 2005

Mike Krufky wrote:

> This is the ATSC card (not the DVB-T one) right?

> If so, from what I've heard, it only works with 8VSB -- NOT QAM
> signals.  Patrick told me that, and that is why I didnt buy it on
> ebay.  $49.95 buy-it-now!

No, that was the r2 card, based on the Broadcom 3510.

For more information regarding some confusion about the Air2PC see:

Anyways, the r3 does demodulate QAM -- you can read about some user
experiences here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=509869

It was another thread on AVS that made me question whether Tom's patch
was correct for the hardware.  You can find that here

Needless to say, it was correct.  That is why I stated it was pretty
funny that I was now correcting the Nxt2004 frequency, as seen here:

> Although it is possible to carry 8VSB over cable, I dont think it's
> actually being done anywhere in practice, although I could be wrong.

I know it used too circa ~2000 on some small cable networks.  There
where even threads about this on AVS.  The big kicker is that there are
few DVB-C networks in North America too.  I presently discovered this
and brought it up on AVS (got a lot of flak from non-believers, but then
someone stepped forward and said that they were indeed on a small
network (in Arizona IIRC) that used DVB-C).  Anyways, the cable scene in
North America is probably nowadays a mixture of proprietary Motorola
standards (or derivatives) and OpenCable/SCTE/ ITU-T J.83 .... with the
overall movement towards OpenCable.

> Would be nice for someone who has that card to test it with the new
> nxt200x driver.  In it's current state, the flexcop patch proposed by
> Kirk should do the trick.
I'll bring this point up on the AVS list latter tonight.