[linux-dvb] DVB-T card for PCI-X

Jon Burgess jburgess at uklinux.net
Fri Sep 30 22:48:25 CEST 2005

Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> Oh,.. thats bad,.. uhm is this sure? As I told my board hast 3 PCI-X
> slots (2 with 100MHz and 1 with 133MHz) and one conventional PCI slot
> (33MHz). I think the PCI and the PCI-X buses have each their own
> controller.
> But if you're true and the wohle buse runs at the spead of the slowest
> card, that would imply that if I'm using one of the two 100MHz slots
> (with 100MHz PCI-X cards) than I wouldn't be able to use the 133MHz in
> the 3rd slot.

Not quite, according to the info on the motherbaord:
  • Two independent 64-bit PCI-X buses
      - Slot 4 & 5: PCI-X 100 MHz max. (Bridge B)
      - Slot 6: PCI-X 133 MHz max. (Bridge A)

If you plugged the card into a 100MHz slot it should only effect the
other 100MHz slot, the 133MHz slot is independant.

arstechnica.com does a decent job of comparing PCI/PCI-X & PCIe here
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/pcie.ars/1

	Jon