[linux-dvb] More on the cx24123

Yeasah Pell yeasah at schwide.com
Wed Apr 5 18:03:14 CEST 2006

 From what I've seen, some DiSEqC switches can be *really* picky, and
I've seen lots of reports of switches working fine on one card but not
working at all on another (or working unreliably) I can't offer any more
detail or explanation than that though -- just my observation of reports
online.

My understanding is that the main difference between DiSEqC 1.x and 2.0
is that 2.0 is bidirectional, which this card does seem to support, but
this driver doesn't. But that should just mean you won't get status back
from the devices -- the control aspect ought to still work fine. You
wouldn't get status back unless the disqec commands were set to request
it anyway, which the software you are using probably isn't doing.

I can confirm that on my DVB-S 100, with either my patch or vadim's
original diseqc patch, I am able to control a 4 port generic diseqc
switch which claims to be "1.0/2.0" compliant, as well as a dish positioner.

One thing you might try is enabling debug messages in the cx24123 module
(i.e. by putting a line saying "options cx24123 debug=1" in
/etc/modprobe.conf and reloading the modules or rebooting), that way you
should see confirmation messages in dmesg of the diseqc messages being
sent. That will at least confirm that 1) you are definitely loading the
patched driver and 2) diseqc commands are in fact being issued to the
card. You should see some lines including the text
"cx24123_send_diseqc_msg", and hopefully no error indications.

The only other thing I would note is that in order to get my positioner
to accept disqec commands reliably I had to increase the delay between
the tone shutoff/voltage change and the diseqc command being sent in the
software I use. I didn't have that problem with the switch, but I
certainly would put that sort of timing issue high up on the list of
suspected causes -- this card might take longer than normal for its LNB
voltage to stabilize, or to actually stop sending the tone.

The popular timing seems to be to wait 15 msec, I upped that to 100 msec
to get it to work with my positioner. It probably doesn't need that much
of an increase, that's just what I tried first, and it doesn't really
add a significant amount of time to the total command sequence from a
user perspective. I was using other software, but if you want to try the
change in dvbscan, change the first msleep(15) in the diseqc_send_msg
function in diseqc.c to msleep(100), and recompile -- in fact you could
try lengthening all the delays in that function, it certainly can't hurt
to wait longer on any of those steps (apart from making the command
sequence take longer)

If you find that adding delays helps, please let us know, as it means we
should probably put some delays into the driver ioctls.