[linux-dvb] DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Lite frontend driver issue

Michael Krufky mkrufky at m1k.net
Tue Apr 11 01:46:25 CEST 2006

Markus Rechberger wrote:

>are you serious that this is a nice way to detect the dvb demodulator?
>you bind the mt352 module to devices that might only contain a zl10353
>which isn't very nice.
>This will end up in a mess like the tuner-core module.

Markus-

For once we agree with each other, however:

#1) This is an experimental patch, and I purposefully did not include my
sign-off.

#2) You forgot to mention that I put needless braces around the check
for (card->fe = NULL) -- if the patch works, I will remove those before
applying.

#3) This is exactly the same way that Chris Pascoe did it in cx88-dvb
(see linux/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-dvb.c , lines 557 - 573) -- I
told him that I don't like it, however, neither your argument nor mine
holds any water -- Chris did the right thing.  This is also how it is
done in b2c2-flexcop, and many of the other dvb drivers, and this is the
acceptable probing method for dvb frontends.

The case is this:  Boards out there based on the mt352 frontend have
been re-released with the zl10353 instead of the mt352, without changing
the PCI subsystem ID or eeprom contents.

I refer you to linux/drivers/media/dvb/b2c2/flexcop-fe-tuner.c , lines
436 - 508

NOW you know, and knowing is half the battle.

-G.I. Joe