[linux-dvb] Overflows with TechnoTrend DVB-C Budget card

Simo Kivimäki simo at kivimaki.name
Tue Apr 11 19:54:18 CEST 2006

Tomi Orava wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've had some data stream continuity problems with my two
> TechnoTrend DVB-C (SAA7146) cards. After enabling a couple
> of kernel driver debug options (dvb_core, debug=1) I noticed
> that if I run dvbstream -o 8192 >/dev/null I get the following
> error's time after time:
>
> Apr  7 12:45:04 valen kernel: function : dvb_dvr_poll
> Apr  7 12:45:04 valen last message repeated 5438 times
> Apr  7 12:45:04 valen kernel: dmxdev: buffer overflow
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Apr  7 12:45:04 valen kernel: function : dvb_dvr_poll
> Apr  7 12:45:05 valen last message repeated 15797 times

I tried that and got the same messages. For me if the debug is on,
processor load goes to 100% and I think that's why there are overflows.
That is probably because there is lots of those dvb_dvr_poll messages
going to the log. You can see the load using 'top'.

I have TT Budget C1500.

> The driver doesn't emit the overflow message when running
> the current version of MythTV 0.19, but on the other hand,
> all the recorded streams seem to have errors in them:
>
> [mpeg2video @ 0x30fa14c]00 motion_type at 4 15
> [mpeg2video @ 0x30fa14c]00 motion_type at 0 16
> [mpeg2video @ 0x30fa14c]00 motion_type at 0 17
> [mpeg2video @ 0x30fa14c]mb incr damaged
> [mpeg2video @ 0x30fa14c]ac-tex damaged at 24 19
> [mpeg2video @ 0x30fa14c]00 motion_type at 4 20
> [mpeg2video @ 0x30fa14c]invalid mb type in B Frame at 26 21
> [mpeg2video @ 0x30fa14c]invalid cbp at 0 22
> [mpeg2video @ 0x30fa14c]invalid cbp at 1 24
> [mpeg2video @ 0x30fa14c]00 motion_type at 5 25

I don't know about these. But if the picture looks good and these errors
are not continuous, I wouldn't worry. Is the picture jerky? In my system
vertical scrolling texts (stock prices etc.) are little jerky. Is that
normal? And I don't mean the deinterlace artifacts.