[linux-dvb] [Proposal] Meaningful reporting of SNR

Robert Schlabbach robert_s at gmx.net
Wed Apr 12 16:57:00 CEST 2006

From: "Rusty Scott" <rustys at ieee.org>
> 1)  That it be encouraged to report SNR in dB whenever possible.

I'm afraid most hardware is incapable of producing such measurements.
Instead, I'd propose scaling all signal measurements to _percentages_.

> 3)  For cards that don't provide signal strength directly (read from a
> register), the strength be calculated from the SNR by mapping 30dB SNR
> to full scale signal.

That'd boil down to the same thing, except that instead of scaling 0..100
you'd scale to 0..3000. You could also go for permille and scale to
0..1000.

Regards,
--
Robert Schlabbach