[linux-dvb] Thoughts about supporting more complex tuners

Patrick Boettcher patrick.boettcher at desy.de
Fri Apr 14 15:11:54 CEST 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, Andrew de Quincey wrote:

> OK, after consulting with Manu a bit, my original idea isn't going to work
> well. Here is an updated patch.
>
> The initialisation sequence would now be:
> struct dvb_frontend *fe = stv0299_attach();
> stb6100_attach(fe);
>
> The stb6100 attaches itself to the stv0299 using the (*attach_tuner)()
> callback.

1) What do you think about adding a void *priv_tuner to dvb_frontend?

And a tuner would use that, instead of passing a void* in the argument of
the function pointer?

2) Why not creating a struct dvb_tuner and struct dvb_tuner_ops? and a
dvb_frontend would then also contain an optional pointer to a
dvb_tuner-struct?

With that idea we could even move the dvb_frontend_ops to a dvb_demod and
a dvb_demod_ops-struct and a dvb_frontend would consist of dvb_demod
+ dvb_tuner.

Just my thoughts - maybe too radical. But what about the first one?

best regards,
Patrick.

   Mail: patrick.boettcher at desy.de