[linux-dvb] Thoughts about supporting more complex tuners

Andrew de Quincey adq_dvb at lidskialf.net
Fri Apr 14 15:25:06 CEST 2006

On Friday 14 April 2006 13:57, Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> OK, after consulting with Manu a bit, my original idea isn't going to work
> well. Here is an updated patch.
>
> The initialisation sequence would now be:
> struct dvb_frontend *fe = stv0299_attach();
> stb6100_attach(fe);
>
> The stb6100 attaches itself to the stv0299 using the (*attach_tuner)()
> callback.
>
> After that, the stv0299 is then responsible for controlling the PLL - so
> this really just becomes a standardised/expanded way of how we do it
> already.
>
> Main reason being - many of the enhanced demod tuning algorithms will need
> to control the tuner directly - my idea of the frontend loop doing this
> just isn't flexible enough.

Yet another change. This new patch exposes the tuner function pointers to the
world (as a part of dvb_frontend_ops) so that the card driver can override
them..

For example many of the tda10045 cards have an extra chip on them which needs
to be set correctly for the bandwidth - this would be done by the card driver
overriding the tuner's set_bandwidth() function pointer with its own
implementation.