[linux-dvb] Re: Moving tuner handling code to separate file.

Andreas Oberritter obi at linuxtv.org
Sun Apr 16 22:30:30 CEST 2006

Michael Krufky wrote:
> Andreas Oberritter wrote:
>
>> You're right. But that's the point: These modules are used on a lot of
>> different boards, but every board has its own (almost identical)
>> implementation of the module specific code. This code shall be
>> factored out to have only a single implementation for each type of NIM
>> in the kernel source tree.
>>
>> Other boards, which don't use NIMs, need custom settings anyway. There
>> is no need and no gain to factor out their PLL setting code or special
>> register settings. Their code just stays inside the adapter driver,
>> because it won't be reused for other boards.
>
> Is this what you have in mind?
>
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/lgh06xf

No. The LG H06xF is not a frontend, but only a tuner in a can. See my
old patch http://www.saftware.de/patches/frontend.diff (bsru6.c is
probably a good example) to see what I have in mind.

Your patch looks good though, but it's a different topic IMHO.

> The config structs are device-specific, and are different in each
> implementation, so I left those where they were in the card drivers.
>
> This series moves all of the common pll_set code into a single header.
> I went with the "fe_foo.h" naming.  I think this is what we've all
> settled on.

Have we? We just found out that there is a difference between FE and NIM.

Also, since your fe_lgh06xf.h doesn't contain code for a front-end (as
in "combination of at least PLL, demodulator and PCB"), but only for the
tuner, I wouldn't call it fe_*.h. ;-)

Regards,
Andreas