[linux-dvb] "2033 Mantis" Twinhan Cab-CI?

bbee bumble.bee at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 28 01:11:06 CEST 2006

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Robert Schlabbach wrote:
> No, we can stay on-topic here: What makes you think you can play H.264/AVC
> video on Linux? AFAIK that requires latest-generation video acceleration,
> which is barely available in Windows, and thus unlikely to have it made to
> Linux yet (because display adapter makers still tend to think of Windows
> before they think of Linux).
>
> So even if you had a Linux driver for your card, you would still be just
> where you are right now with Windows... Except that for Windows,
> hardware-accelerated H.264/AVC decoders are already available, whereas I
> have yet to hear of such a beast for Linux.

mplayer has had AVC support for a while, using ffmpeg library routines. I
assume pretty much all players can use ffmpeg.

You're right that there is no acceleration at the moment. I think I heard
something about VIA unichrome chips offering some MPEG4 acceleration, and
work is being done for ATI chips. Nvidia has XvMC support for MPEG2. I
believe there is a standardised Windows API for acceleration.

A link to a test clip was posted a while back on this list. I'm sure you
can also find test files with google.
1920x1088 h.264 video plays with ~90% CPU usage on my system without
stuttering. That's on Linux x86_64, AMD 3200+, RV370 based ATI board, using
standard XV output, gentoo linux compiled from scratch with -O3. You do
need to make sure MTRRs are set up properly.

bbee