[linux-dvb] DVR and MP3 decoder queries

Aapo Tahkola aet at rasterburn.org
Tue Aug 1 02:00:45 CEST 2006

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 06:37:51 -0700 (PDT)
Amol Lad <dal_loma at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please clear my below doubts:
>
> 1. To run linuxtv-dvb-apps-1.1.1/test/test_dvr_play.c
> is it necessary to tune to frontend ? I believe I can
> do this without giving any input to the tuner
>
> 2. Is there any sample MP3 decoder available based on
> DVB APIs? If not, what all we need to take care while
> writing the decoder using the APIs. Will the following
> work
>
> {
>   open("/dev/dvb/adapter0/audio0");
>   Set audio stream source to AUDIO_SOURCE_MEMORY
>   set channel to AUDIO_STEREO
>   set audio coding mode to ?? (mpeg1, mpeg2ext ??)
>   while (!end of file){
>     write(data to audio0)
>   }
> }

That looks like a hardware mpeg decoder API to me.

It goes something like this:
1. tune to a station
2. set PES filter to the audio pid you desire
3. extract PES packets and feed it to libmad or some other decoder
4. pass output to alsa or oss.

Minimal app probably takes only about 1000 lines of code.

--
Aapo Tahkola