[linux-dvb] DVB card remote control geneates too many signals

aabb aabb at chadbournes.f2s.com
Sat Aug 5 02:25:26 CEST 2006

For the benefit of others with a similar problem, who might stumble
across this post, this is how I fixed it. I'm sure there are much better
ways, but this worked for me.

The culprit was the bttv module. From kernel 2.6.16, this module has a
new source file, "bttv-input.c" (it's in directory
"drivers/media/video/", of the kernel source), which defines the
infrared codes for various cards. To stop the codes being recognised,
all I had to do was to pretend that my DVB card doesn't have an IR
sensor. To do this I edited another source file, "bttv-cards.c", by
changing ".has_remote = 1" to ".has_remote = 0". This assignment appears
for each card with a remote and you need to find the one for your card.
Mine was BTTV_BOARD_AVDVBT_771.

I then just executed the following commands as root:

cd /usr/src/linux
make modules
make modules_install

It should all work properly (i.e. all remote signals intercepted only by
lircd) after the next re-boot (or just re-loading the bttv module should
do it).

I'm sure there's a better way that doesn't involve editing source code
(e.g. with an appropriate configuration option), but as I only update my
kernel a couple of times a year, and the above only takes  a couple of
minutes, I'll live with this for now.

Alex