[linux-dvb] Card is working... Now, I just need some content!

Dave Schile daveschile at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 7 19:45:30 CEST 2006

After much fighting and help from the archives of this list, (thank you all)
I've got my Twinhan 1025 DVB-S card working on Debian Linux kernel 2.6.17.7.
By 'working' I mean I load all the drivers without error, /dev/dvb is
populated, and even Kaffeine sees a DVB-S card ready for use.
Now, How the heck do I get a signal to watch?  I've spent hours deciphering
information from lyngsat.com and pointing the dish with a compass and
protractor only to get nothing.  Or, output from dvbtune saying
Polling...
Polling...
Polling...
continues...

I'd like to use the scan prog from dvb-utils but the example files in
/usr/share/doc/dvb-utls/examples/scan/dvb-s/ are all for satillites that I
can't see from Southern California,  USA.

Please, can anyone direct me to information on aiming and tuning a to a
dvb-s signal in North America?

Thanks much!

Dave Schile