[linux-dvb] Unable to remove stv0299

Oliver Endriss o.endriss at gmx.de
Tue Aug 8 13:03:50 CEST 2006

Andrew de Quincey wrote:

> > > @Andrew:
> > > Imho the problem is that
> > > - dvb_attach calls symbol_request(fe_attach)
> > > - dvb_detach calls symbol_put_addr(fe_release)
> > > i.e. two different symbols are used...
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > Crap, looks like something got lost in that /LONG/ discussion, because
> > thats never going to work is it?
>
> Actually, no, this should work...
>
> symbol_request() looks up the module containing the given symbol and does a
> module_get() on it.
>
> symbol_put_addr() looks up the module containing the given /addresss/ and does
> a module_put() on it... so it /should/ be working; in fact it was. But
> obviously it ain't for you guys for some reason.
>
> Trent fixed a nasty bug in symbol_put_addr() for 2.6.17.. perhaps theres still
> another one lurking?

Hm - does it work for you? Which kernel version are you using?
The changelog of the kernel does not list any fixes for 2.6.17.[1-8] in
that area.

Here it does not work with plain 2.6.17 and
- DVB-S full-featured card Rev 2.1 (stv0299)
- Activy GR budget (tda8083)

Btw, it works if I do a symbol_put_addr(xxx_attach) instead of
symbol_put_addr(xxx_release).
I think I have to do some kernel debugging...

Oliver