[linux-dvb] Corrupted MPEGs (DVB-C)?

Thomas Börkel thomas at boerkel.de
Mon Aug 14 11:08:56 CEST 2006

HI!

Thanks for your fast reply.

Jukka Tastula wrote:

>> Using mplayer (libmpeg2) causes pixelization for a short moment after
>> the skip, but it does not report errors. When I switch MythTV from
>> ffmpeg to libmpeg2, it behaves the same (no error messages, but
>> pixelization).
>
> This is a libmpeg2 feature. It is more optimized for best possible speed
> rather than quality. If you want quality then use ffmpeg for decoding.

Funny thing is, that libmpeg2 has no such problem with MPEG2 recordings
from an analog card (Hauppauge PVR-250).

> Also it is very likely that anything you save off a dvb device will have
> some errors in it. This can be caused by so many different things you
> can't really do much about it. Most of these are so small that you won't
> even notice they're there unless your're using a really badly behaved
> decoder. Sometimes there are errors and you just have to live with it.

I only had one visible error so far, so that's OK.

What I do not understand is, that I get those error messages from the
ffmpeg decoder for most of the recordings when skipping through it, but
czap says 0 UNC errors, even when running for a long time.

All this led me to the conclusion, that something is permanently (not
only  every x minutes or so) wrong in the MPEGs and that I can/should do
something about it. But I could be wrong.

> Probably the best thing you can do about it is to run the captured mpegs
> through a program that removes the broken parts such as projectx.

OK.

Thanks!

Thomas