[linux-dvb] Thank you, and a another question re: Twinhan 1025 tuning

Dave Schile daveschile at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 17 18:29:02 CEST 2006

Thanks to the gracious help of this list and especially Steven Toth, Manu
Abraham, Zoilo Gomez, and Nico Sabbi, I've been able to get quite a ways
toward linuxTV.  Still no picture yet, but I believe it's due to a poor
signal.  Heres what I get from szap, if anyone would like to chime in with
their thoughts:

szap -l DBS nasa
reading channels from file '.szap/channels.conf'
zapping to 1 'nasa':
sat 0, frequency = 12370 MHz V, symbolrate 20000000, vpid = 0x1022, apid =
0x1023 sid = 0x0001
using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
status 1f | signal 4200 | snr 1900 | ber fffffffe | unc fffffffe |
FE_HAS_LOCK
status 1f | signal 4200 | snr 1900 | ber fffffffe | unc fffffffe |
FE_HAS_LOCK
status 1f | signal 4200 | snr 1900 | ber fffffffe | unc fffffffe |
FE_HAS_LOCK
status 1f | signal 4400 | snr 1900 | ber fffffffe | unc fffffffe |
FE_HAS_LOCK

nasa is a free channel on Echostar7.  It is circular right in polarization.
I'm using an 18" DirecTv dish and LNB.  It's basically the typical dish they
give to new subscribers of DirecTv here in the US.  I'm located in San
Diego.  I've spent some time aiming the dish by hand with an analog signal
meter, and I've set it at the best signal I could get, but I still seem to
need more than half the gain the signal meter provides to get a reading.

I see the ber and unc readings from szap are way out there.  And signal and
snr are too low.  Is this just signal strength or is there someting else I
can try?  Any other insights?

Thanks much,
Dave