[linux-dvb] Re: Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick

Chris Lawrence lordsutch at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 22:20:26 CET 2006

Erik Meitner wrote:
> I gave the tuner a poke:
>
> $ scan -n -o zap -p
> /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
> scanning
> /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
> using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
> WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0000
> WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x1ffb
> WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
> WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
> WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
> WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
> ERROR: interrupted by SIGINT, dumping partial result...
> dumping lists (0 services)
> Done.

In my experience, you will get the "tuning failed" messages on
frequencies that don't have an ATSC channel on them... it takes 5
minutes or so to scan through all of the ATSC frequencies.  You can
watch the signal lock progress by running femon in a separate shell.

The 'filter timeout' messages are probably the result of a too-weak
signal.  Using a real UHF antenna will probably help.  (I use the
Zenith "Silver Sensor" indoors at home, and while it's not all that
portable it'll grab a signal much better than the "car aerial"
VHF-style omnidirectional antenna included with the Pro Stick.)

If you're feeling ambitious, you can save some time and comment out
the digital frequencies that aren't used in your area within
/usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB.
  I believe they are in order from channel 2-69.  You'll also need to
know the real channel numbers of the digital streams (you can get
these by looking up the stations in Wikipedia).  Granted, that's a lot
of work to save five minutes... but if you're trying to orient an
antenna it might be worth the trouble :)

The digital tuner now works pretty well for me, although I get a lot
of annoying audio pops and video hiccups when using xine -V xv or xine
-V xvmc (they go away with xine -V xshm, but that pegs the CPU at 90%
on my old-school 1.87GHz Pentium M laptop).

Chris