[linux-dvb] Re: Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick

Markus Rechberger mrechberger at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 06:26:59 CET 2006

On 12/5/06, Erik Meitner <erik at wanderings.us> wrote:
> Chris Lawrence wrote:
> > Erik Meitner wrote:
> >> I gave the tuner a poke:
> >>
> >> $ scan -n -o zap -p
> >>
> /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
> >>
> >> scanning
> >>
> /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
> >>
> >> using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
> >> WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0000
> >> WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x1ffb
> >> WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
> >> WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
> >> WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
> >> WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
> >> ERROR: interrupted by SIGINT, dumping partial result...
> >> dumping lists (0 services)
> >> Done.
> >
> > In my experience, you will get the "tuning failed" messages on
> > frequencies that don't have an ATSC channel on them... it takes 5
> > minutes or so to scan through all of the ATSC frequencies.  You can
> > watch the signal lock progress by running femon in a separate shell.
> >
> > The 'filter timeout' messages are probably the result of a too-weak
> > signal.  Using a real UHF antenna will probably help.  (I use the
> > Zenith "Silver Sensor" indoors at home, and while it's not all that
> > portable it'll grab a signal much better than the "car aerial"
> > VHF-style omnidirectional antenna included with the Pro Stick.)
> >
> > If you're feeling ambitious, you can save some time and comment out
> > the digital frequencies that aren't used in your area within
> >
> /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB.
> >
> >  I believe they are in order from channel 2-69.  You'll also need to
> > know the real channel numbers of the digital streams (you can get
> > these by looking up the stations in Wikipedia).  Granted, that's a lot
> > of work to save five minutes... but if you're trying to orient an
> > antenna it might be worth the trouble :)
> >
> > The digital tuner now works pretty well for me, although I get a lot
> > of annoying audio pops and video hiccups when using xine -V xv or xine
> > -V xvmc (they go away with xine -V xshm, but that pegs the CPU at 90%
> > on my old-school 1.87GHz Pentium M laptop).
> >
> Ah, right. I was able to scan and find all of the local stations after
> all. :)
> Still no video output though. When I run xine and choose a channel it
> stays in a "buffering" state and never displays video.  The same is true
> with mplayer.

we might have to add a delay somewhere for it .. I'll have a closer
look at the logs I have.

> One more thing: when the device is configured in DTV mode, it generates
> a bit more heat than it did when I tested it under Windows. I certainly
> gets warmer than it does in analog mode. The antenna connector seems to
> be sinking most of the heat, but there is  still more than I think there
> should be. This, along with the problems mentioned above may be an
> indication that something is not quite right with the driver.(?)
>
> Markus: need anything else? I suspect you'll want logs with reg_debug
> set to 2 while running xine?

Think I have everything for now, regarding the green stripe ontop of the video:
A switch for it needs to get implemented into tvp5150 module, though
your device supports VBI it just needs a few tweaks to pipe that
stripe to /dev/vbi0, there's already a slicer implemented in the
driver which adds support for PAL teletext that way.
So don't worry about it for now.

Markus