[linux-dvb] Hauppage WinTv Nova-T USB stick problems..

Stephen Rowles stephen at rowles.org.uk
Sun Dec 10 17:36:44 CET 2006

I am using Fedora core 5, running on a via eden sp13000 motherboard/chip
combo. I got the latest drivers from hg and built it about 2 weeks or so
ago.

My kernel is (uname -a):

Linux lounge.localdomain 2.6.18-1.2239.fc5 #1 Fri Nov 10 13:04:06 EST
2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

When I remove then plug in my Nova-T in I get the following:

kernel: usb 5-6: USB disconnect, address 4
kernel: dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-T Stick successfully deinitialized and
disconnected.
kernel: usb 5-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
kernel: usb 5-6: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
kernel: dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-T Stick' in cold state, will
try to load a firmware
kernel: dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-dib0700-01.fw'
kernel: dib0700: firmware started successfully.
kernel: dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-T Stick' in warm state.
kernel: i2c_adapter i2c-1: SMBus Quick command not supported, can't
probe for chips
kernel: dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the
software demuxer.
kernel: DVB: registering new adapter (Hauppauge Nova-T Stick).
kernel: i2c_adapter i2c-2: SMBus Quick command not supported, can't
probe for chips
kernel: DVB: registering frontend 0 (DiBcom 7000PC)...
kernel: MT2060: successfully identified (IF1 = 1220)
kernel: dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-T Stick successfully initialized and
connected.

I can use scan once - and once only, and I managed to get one successful
channel list which I new cherish as I've failed to get another one
correctly. It would seem support for this stick is still very new and
quite flaky

I am using freevo as my media center, I can use xine to watch tv, but
quiting and trying to select another channel often fails, xine re-loads
but just gives a black screen. Once this has happened I cannot do
anything with the stick, until I unplug and replug it, at which point it
will tune once, then fail.

I also have problems with tzap / dvbstream / dvbtraffic on the command
line, which I have never got to work. I tune the card using tzap and get
the following:

# ./tzap "BBC ONE"
using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
reading channels from file '/root/.tzap/channels.conf'
tuning to 706000000 Hz
video pid 0x0258, audio pid 0x0259
status 00 | signal ff5f | snr 0000 | ber 02000200 | unc 00008323 |
status 00 | signal ff5f | snr 0000 | ber 02000200 | unc 00008323 |
status 00 | signal ff5f | snr 0000 | ber 02000200 | unc 00008323 |
status 00 | signal ff5f | snr 0000 | ber 02000200 | unc 00008323 |

which looks promising, but dvbstream won't record anything and I end up
with the following in my /var/log/messages:
and running dvbtraffic just outputs nothing.

mt2060 I2C read failed
last message repeated 230 times

Does anyone know how do I turn on debug information so I can track down
whats wrong and send in a bug report?