[linux-dvb] DViCO Fusion Dual DVB-T - Not sure what to try next

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Tue Dec 26 14:48:48 CET 2006

On 26 Dec 2006, at 03:00, tim belina wrote:
> Thanks for your replies.  I have noted your suggestion on the kernel
> update, but YaST does not allow me to upgrade the kernel past
> 2.6.13-15.13.

That sounds to me like quite an old kernel, so am a little surprised
to hear that. Have you told Yast to check for the latest package
updates?

I don't use Suse myself, but a Google suggests to me that it might be
worth looking into additional package repositories.
http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories

> I guess there is probably a way to install a kernel
> outside of what YaST wants to do, but then I guess its going to be up
> to me to handle the updates since YaST will no longer be able to
> handle at  least the kernel patches.  Am I correct in this, or have I
> misunderstood something?

Yes, I would advise upgrading the kernel from source, if necessary.
If your distro still only supports 2.6.13 then it's probably not
worth worrying about its ability to update, but besides I would think
that later kernel updates from Yast would be unaffected by manual
kernel updates.

There are lots of HOWTOs out there about compiling your own kernel:
http://linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/202/1/
http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=84
http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/index.php?showtopic=13698&st=0
http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html

I don't see comments in any of them that you can (probably) get your
current kernel config by use of the command `zcat /proc/config.gz >
file`; you can the copy this file to /usr/src/linux/.config
(or .config in whichever directory you're compiling in) to ensure
that all the same modules are compiled for your new kernel as were
for the old.

> I thought maybe I could upgrade to a distro version that supports a
> more recent kernel.

I'd advise not doing this if the kernel is your ONLY problem. If you
go changing distros just to solve one problem then you'll surely find
other problems with the new distro. Find a distro you like and stick
with it - it will be easier to learn than if you switch about.

I think, mind, that Suse 10 may be quite old - if updates are not
available for any packages, if support for this release has ceased,
then this is indeed a good reason to update to a newer release (and
not a bad time to try a new distro ;).

> I have heard good things about Ubuntu, but
> installation of 6.10 Edgy Eft fails for me; the installer seems to set
> the input signal for the monitor  to an out-of-range value. *sigh* :-)

As I recall I had this problem when installing Ubuntu this year. I
think I worked around by using a different monitor and then setting a
lower resolution in the display preferences. You might also try
booting to a Knoppix live cd and copying the xorg.conf, or simply
booting the Ubuntu installation in text mode and editing it's
xorg.conf in $EDITOR. I don't think there's an (advanced?) option to
set X's resolution by hand when installing Ubuntu?

Stroller.