[linux-dvb] Kworld-ATSC110

Michael Krufky mkrufky at linuxtv.org
Thu Feb 16 22:44:26 CET 2006

Curt wrote:

> Michael Krufky wrote:
>
>> Guys, please test this tree as it stands right now:
>>
>> do:
>> hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/atsc
>>
>> Is this ready to be merged into the main tree yet?
>>
> Yes it is good. Please push it so others can try it out. Thanks for
> putting the tda9887_conf back in. I still can't see how it make any
> difference in the actual functionality but we will leave it in for now.

Anybody can test the driver using my tree, as mentioned above.  You may
not see why we need the tda9887 to be configured right now, but if you
REALLY need to be convinced, please google the following search phrase:
"gene heskett pchdtv tda9887" (read the entire thread)... Sure, the code
might work in today's kernel without the tda9887 being explicitly
programmed, however, in older kernels, or maybe in some future kernels,
the driver might break without this line.

> Here is what I had to do.
>
>  1. load saaa7134
>  2. load saa7134-dvb
>  3. run something to get the nxt2004 firmware to load, like azap.
>  4. load tuner
>  5. remove tuner
>  6. load tuner (it always loads the second time)
>  7. remove the tda9887 that was loaded by something else.
>  8. Run a tv program like tvtime that accesses the video device.
>  8. load tda9887 (now that the ntx2004 is up and configured).

None of that should be necessary.  It sounds to me like you just need to
set up /etc/modprobe.conf

Obviously, you have multiple cards in your machine at once, and this is
mucking up your testing environment.

1) Simply doing:

modprobe saa7134

should be enough to get analog television working.  This will
automatically load tuner.ko and tda9887.ko (and others) as dependencies.

2) doing:

modprobe saa7134-dvb

should be enough to get digital television working.  This will
automatically load nxt200x.ko and dvb-pll.ko (and others) as dependencies.

You do not need to explicitly load the firmware -- it will be loaded as
needed.

I can only imagine the need for you to do that entire sequence above if
you want to see all the debug messages showing up at once in the log.

> I will work on making this more automatic but for now this is what it
> takes.

All you need to do is add "saa7134-dvb" to /etc/modprobe.conf

Bingo!

Please, humor me... Download *my* mercurial tree ( hg clone
http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/atsc )  DO NOT alter any files.....
Follow the standard build instructions:

cd v4l-dvb
make
make install (as root)

edit your /etc/modprobe.conf (or is it /etc/modules.conf ? i forget) as
shown above.

reboot your system.

When it comes back up, everything should just work, without the need to
do your strange sequence of module loading and unloading.  If anybody
can confirm that this works out-of-the-box now, then I will have this
merged into master.

If, however, you find that you DO need to do this module
GPIO-related troubles, and I will NOT have this merged into master until
those can be resolved.

Let me know...

Regards,

Michael Krufky