[linux-dvb] Pinnacle 300i, please try this patch

Hartmut Hackmann hartmut.hackmann at t-online.de
Thu Feb 16 23:53:04 CET 2006

Hi, Hermann

hermann pitton wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 16.02.2006, 17:59 +0100 schrieb Rainer Schubert:
>
>>On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Hartmut Hackmann wrote:
>>

>>>Hi, Tim, Rainer
>>
>>Hi Hartmut, Tim, Tim, List,

>>There is almost no analogue TV here, only some weak signals by ARD & ZDF.
>>I never bothered with analogue TV as it was cut down here when I got my
>>first Pinnacle card.
>>
>>[...]
>>
>>Isn't 2.6.14 recent enough ?
>

> yes, even 2.6.12 should be recent enough.
>

>>>The patch was created against an about 1 week old version, it is quite likely
>>>that it changed meanwhile. I guess the patches in saa7134-cards.c were
>>>rejected.
>

> It produces only an offset of 26 lines here, caused by the new Elsa
> card.
>

>>Looking at the log I produced it seems the patches to tuner.c have been
>>rejected.
>

> Only an offset of two lines caused by the new #ifdef for the XCeive
> tuner. This part is needed to set the mt2050 in digital mode again.
>

>>>Please apply the changes manually - at least the one for the pinnacle 300i.
>>>It is a major portion of the trick. Also please keep in mind that the tda9887
>>>module needs to be loaded manually before tuner. I have a patch for this
>>>pending.
>>
>>Tim sent his patched version which I will try this afternoon. Thanks Tim !
>>

>>>If you have inconsistent module versions, i guess the reason is that the
>>>kernel is older than 2.6.12. In this case, the dvb modules will not be
>>>updated.
>>
>>It is version 2.6.14 and the inconsistancy was with versions of symbols in
>>ir_kbd-something.
>

> Try modprobe -r to the related modules. This will also remove the old
> ir-common.
>

>>>If it is desired, i can also generate a patch for this to make it work for
>>>at least 2.6.11.
>>
>>Thanks, Hartmut, not for me, as I have got a working setup with 2.6.12.5
>>as a fallback.
>

> Since it seems to produce problems for more people, a regenerated
> version of Hartmut's patch against the recent "hg clone
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb" is attached.
>
> It should do if placed into the mercurial v4l-dvb top level directory
> and there
> "patch --dry-run -p 1 < pinnacle300i-regenerated-20060216.patch".
> If so, drop the --dry-run and apply. I would like to see the first
> saa7134-dvb hybrid card alive again everywhere :)
>
> Cheers,
> Hermann

Thanks that you regenerated the patch. The information that tuner-core.c
caused the problem didn't come up earlier.
Meanwhile i also got a patch for the module load order issue.
In the weekend, i will set up my own repository and apply the patches there.
This should make life easier for testers - unfortunately harder for developers.
It will take some time before the patch goes to mainstream. I am sure that
there will be some discussion with the other maintainers.

Hartmut