[linux-dvb] Re: videodev.ko not installed when using v4l-dvb (HG) and conflicting symbols

Stone syphyr at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 03:27:56 CET 2006

On 2/27/06, Stone <syphyr at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just tried testing the new HG branch of v4l-dvb with linux kernl
> 2.6.16-rc5 and have come across a few minor issues.
>
> 1)  If I have any dvb modules built in the kernel before building v4l-dvb
> outside the tree, the symbols seem to conflict when trying to load the HG
> modules.  Fix: Disable all DVB modules in kernel before building dvb modules
> outside the tree.
>
> saa7146_vv: disagrees about version of symbol video_unregister_device
> saa7146_vv: Unknown symbol video_unregister_device
> saa7146_vv: disagrees about version of symbol video_device_alloc
> saa7146_vv: Unknown symbol video_device_alloc
> saa7146_vv: disagrees about version of symbol video_register_device
> saa7146_vv: Unknown symbol video_register_device
> saa7146_vv: disagrees about version of symbol video_device_release
> saa7146_vv: Unknown symbol video_device_release
> dvb_ttpci: Unknown symbol saa7146_vv_init
> dvb_ttpci: Unknown symbol saa7146_vv_release
> dvb_ttpci: Unknown symbol saa7146_start_preview
> dvb_ttpci: Unknown symbol saa7146_unregister_device
> dvb_ttpci: Unknown symbol saa7146_register_device
> dvb_ttpci: Unknown symbol saa7146_set_hps_source_and_sync
> dvb_ttpci: Unknown symbol saa7146_stop_preview
>

> 2) After doing "make install", there is no videodev.ko in
> /lib/mod/{kernel}/kernel/drivers/media/video/videodev.ko.  Something is
> wrong with the Makefile where it is not installing videodev.ko.  If
> videodev.ko does not exist, I get the following error:
>
> saa7146_vv: Unknown symbol video_unregister_device
> saa7146_vv: Unknown symbol video_device_alloc
> saa7146_vv: Unknown symbol video_register_device
> saa7146_vv: Unknown symbol video_usercopy
> saa7146_vv: Unknown symbol video_device_release
>

> Thanks,

The problem with videodev.ko not being installed appears to be in this
wrapped statement in the Makefile:

#ifeq ($(CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV),m)
inst_video += videodev.ko
#endif

I have commented out the ifeq/endif lines and everything seems to build and
install perfectly now.  What I can not figure out is why the other wrapped
statements work as expected except this one.

Best Regards,