[linux-dvb] Re: videodev.ko not installed when using v4l-dvb (HG) and conflicting symbols

Michael Krufky mkrufky at linuxtv.org
Tue Feb 28 17:58:20 CET 2006

Stone wrote:
> On 2/27/06, *Stone* <syphyr at gmail.com <mailto:syphyr at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I just tried testing the new HG branch of v4l-dvb with linux kernl
>     2.6.16-rc5 and have come across a few minor issues.
>
>     1)  If I have any dvb modules built in the kernel before building
>     v4l-dvb outside the tree, the symbols seem to conflict when trying
>     to load the HG modules.  Fix: Disable all DVB modules in kernel
>     before building dvb modules outside the tree.
>
>     saa7146_vv: disagrees about version of symbol video_unregister_device
>     saa7146_vv: Unknown symbol video_unregister_device
>     saa7146_vv: disagrees about version of symbol video_device_alloc
>     saa7146_vv: Unknown symbol video_device_alloc
>     saa7146_vv: disagrees about version of symbol video_register_device
>     saa7146_vv: Unknown symbol video_register_device
>     saa7146_vv: disagrees about version of symbol video_device_release
>     saa7146_vv: Unknown symbol video_device_release
>     dvb_ttpci: Unknown symbol saa7146_vv_init
>     dvb_ttpci: Unknown symbol saa7146_vv_release
>     dvb_ttpci: Unknown symbol saa7146_start_preview
>     dvb_ttpci: Unknown symbol saa7146_unregister_device
>     dvb_ttpci: Unknown symbol saa7146_register_device
>     dvb_ttpci: Unknown symbol saa7146_set_hps_source_and_sync
>     dvb_ttpci: Unknown symbol saa7146_stop_preview
>

>     2) After doing "make install", there is no videodev.ko in
>     /lib/mod/{kernel}/kernel/drivers/media/video/videodev.ko.
>     Something is wrong with the Makefile where it is not installing
>     videodev.ko.  If videodev.ko does not exist, I get the following
>     error:
>
>     saa7146_vv: Unknown symbol video_unregister_device
>     saa7146_vv: Unknown symbol video_device_alloc
>     saa7146_vv: Unknown symbol video_register_device
>     saa7146_vv: Unknown symbol video_usercopy
>     saa7146_vv: Unknown symbol video_device_release
>

>     Thanks,
>

> The problem with videodev.ko not being installed appears to be in this
> wrapped statement in the Makefile:
>
> #ifeq ($(CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV),m)
> inst_video += videodev.ko
> #endif
>
> I have commented out the ifeq/endif lines and everything seems to
> build and install perfectly now.  What I can not figure out is why the
> other wrapped statements work as expected except this one.
I got rid of the conditionals... They aren't needed, and are only
causing problems.  We already have some other modules in the inst_foo
section that aren't always present, so this should be safe as well.

Mauro, please pull from:

http://linuxtv.orgdotorg.org/hg/~mkrufky/v4l-dvb

-remove test for CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV to set inst_video += videodev.ko

--
Michael Krufky