[linux-dvb] Re: KWORLD ATSC 110 TUNING

Michael Krufky mkrufky at linuxtv.org
Tue Feb 28 20:56:34 CET 2006

John Ferlatte wrote:
> Michael:
>
> I apologize in advance if asking you about the KWORLD ATSC 110 is
> inapproriate, however I see you name everywhere in discussion threads
> as you appear to be the developer. Looking through the threads, you
> also mention that you have ATSC working!
I am not the developer for this particular device, but I am the
UNofficial linux-atsc maintainer, and I've been helping the developers
with this over email.  I HAVE written code to support AVerTV HD a180,
which is similar in design, but not exactly the same.
I wrote a quick howto @ http://linuxtv.org/~mkrufky/atscscan
> I've downloaded the latest Mercurial tree (as of
> yesterday) and managed to get all of the drivers loaded.
Good -- You'll need this, since the driver will not go into the kernel
until 2.6.17, the earliest.

> I'm running  2.6.15.4 <http://2.6.15.4> Kernel, Knoppmyth....
>
> Every time I try to do an atscscan
> /usr/local/share/dvb/scan/atsc/us-NTSC-center-frequencies-8VSB, all I
> get is:
> ---snip
> WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
> WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0000
> WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x1ffb
[snip]

Try another scan file... The "NTSC CENTER FREQUENCIES" file works for
me, but the "ATSC CENTER FREQUENCIES" file does not ..... other users
have reported the exact opposite -- it depends on your area.  I am in
Brooklyn, New York.  Where are you located?

> Does the tuning failed message mean that the tuner modules didn't
> work, or that there was simply no signal on that channel?
no signal

> Here is part of my dmesg showing the v4l and dvb modules, is this the
> way it's supposed to look?
>
> Linux video capture interface: v1.00
> saa7130/34: v4l2 driver version 0.2.14 loaded
> ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:09.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
> saa7133[0]: found at 0000:00:09.0, rev: 240, irq: 18, latency: 64,
> mmio: 0xdfffd800
> saa7133[0]: subsystem: 17de:7350, board: Kworld ATSC110
> [card=90,autodetected]
> saa7133[0]: board init: gpio is 100
> saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 00: de 17 50 73 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 10: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> ff ff
> saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 20: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 30: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 40: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> ff ff
> saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 50: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 60: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 70: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> ff ff
> tuner 1-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (saa7133[0])
> tuner 1-0061: type set to 68 (Philips TUV1236D ATSC/NTSC dual in)
> saa7133[0]: registered device video0 [v4l2]
> saa7133[0]: registered device vbi0
> nxt200x: NXT2004 Detected
> DVB: registering new adapter (saa7133[0]).
> DVB: registering frontend 0 (Nextwave NXT200X VSB/QAM frontend)...
Yup... Looks good, although I see that the tda9887 does not report
anything... just as Curt says.  Maybe we need some special handling for
it......  Any ideas, Hartmut, Hermann?
> Again, I apologize for bugging on this, I'm not sure how to post
> messages lists that I saw you threads on.
Yes, generally I dislike private emails like this, but I understand your
situation...  For information on how to subscribe to both video4linux
and linux-dvb lists (cc's added) , please go to:

http://linuxtv.org/lists

... there you will find links to: