[linux-dvb] CAMs and PCMCIA

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Sat Jan 7 14:35:04 CET 2006

I've been Googling and not been able to find an answer so I'm hoping
someone here will be able to help me:

Various DVB cards support plugging a separate CI slot into them so you can
use a CAM to view encrypted channels.  As I understand it, the CI slot is
actually a PCMCIA slot, so the question is: can you just plug a CAM into a
normal PCMCIA or CardBus slot, grab the encrypted stream from the DVB card
and then send it through the CAM?

The advantages would seem to be:
1. Cards which have no support for a common interface seem to be quite a
bit cheaper
2. You could have multiple receiver cards recording simultaneously and
then decrypt the data at a later date so that you only need a single CAM
and viewing card.  (I believe the Sky+ box does this - only decrypting the
data when you play it)

If you can plug a CAM directly into a PCMCIA slot, is there already any
software support for doing it or would new drivers need to be written?

--

  - Steve