[linux-dvb] Newbie question

William Smith william.smith at ebaana.net
Mon Jan 9 18:26:20 CET 2006

You'll get pretty much the same quality video with any card.
It depends on the quality of the stream being sent.
All the budget cards use a lot of CPU time. If you want to use less,
then get a card that has an mpeg codec chip on it. They cost about
200. Athlon 2000 has more than enough CPU power to view/record streams
from even a budget card. I have viewed streams from two budget cards at
one time on a Sempron 2400 albeit one of the video pictures was choppy.
Just make sure it is supported at linuxtv.org. I am running Kubuntu Breezy and
it detects both my cards (Technisat Skystar DVB-S and KWorld DVB-T)
And I can use them in all the DVB supporting programs except Kaffeine,
where the DVB icon remains dim and unusable.

Good luck.

William