[linux-dvb] Tuning Issue - Southern UK

Jon Burgess jburgess at uklinux.net
Sat Jan 21 15:44:22 CET 2006

Andrew Cowper wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Can anyone explain why I can tune my Freecom DVB USB stick using the
> Crystal Palace settings, which is about 25 miles from my house, but
> not the Hemel Hempstead settings, which is about 5 miles?
>
> I wouldn't mind but the reception is terrible. My Freeview box from
> Tesco has great reception, so I'm not sure what the problem is...
>
> Crystal Palace:
> T 505833333 8MHz 3/4 NONE QAM16 2k 1/32 NONE
>
> Hemel Hempstead:
> T 816000000 8MHz 3/4 NONE QAM16 2K 1/32 NONE
>
> Any hints on diagnosis would be great...

I live in Hemel as well and can only pick up the Crystal Palace
transmitter. The Hemel transmitter is much lower power than the one at
Crystal Palace and I believe is only intended for people which live in a
low lying area which can not get a decent signal from Crystal Palace
transmitter.

Are you certain of the Hemel frequency?
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/reception_advice/dtt_pocket_guide_2-8.pdf
lists digital mux channels as below and none match 816MHz:
	Hemel Hempstead 48+ 55 60+ 59- 62 65

How about trying the 48+ channel which should be at 690166666 Hz.

The others can be calculated as: (channel * 8MHz) + 306MHz
Then: if "+" add 167kHz, if "-" subtract 167kHz.

Have you checked to see which mux channels your freeview box is using?
Are you using the same aerial for the freeview and Freecom?

	Jon