[linux-dvb] how can i start to make a DVB firmware for USB

Patrick Boettcher patrick.boettcher at desy.de
Mon Jun 5 08:52:53 CEST 2006

Hi Jason,

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, jason_wu wrote:
> TwinhanDTV Alpha USB box
> firmware file (while download from linuxtv.org) dvb-usb-vp7045.fw
> xine
> kaffiene (with a little bit fixed, those node under /dev has some problem they automatically point to somewhere,
> else when i connect the USB device, but well i changed those node name to right one)
>
> which can play DVB-T program alright
> i live at Taiwan Taipei

So far so good.

> now i want to use those same system, but just change another USB device,
> how can i do so?
>
> 1. when i plug in another device (which i bought from net), they using Uli 9206 and MT352 (similar as Twinhan),

Not true, Twinhan alpha is using Cypress FX2 and MT352. As already stated
very often the ULI USB IC are currently not support by linux-dvb.

> how can i insert this module, because my linux kernel couldn't detect the device i just plugged in, i think i should
> use some insmod method or something?
>
> 2. how can i make a *.fw file myself? and i do collect some information of my device, now i just want to know is there
> any kind of lecture or web site teaching us how can i make my own firmware file
>
> 3. is that true i can play Uli devcie on linux , just to done [1] and [2]? is there any other thing i am missing out?

Getting the firmware (your [1] and [2]), writing a (small) driver to
interface with the firmware on the device, getting the correct settings
for the mt352. That's it.

regards,
Patrick.

  Mail: patrick.boettcher at desy.de