[linux-dvb] No /dev/dvb/ with DViCO Fusion HDTV DVB-T Plus, Gentoo 2.6.16-r9

Michael Krufky mkrufky at linuxtv.org
Thu Jun 15 14:17:24 CEST 2006

Samuel Cook wrote:
>> Sam,
>>
>> Simon is suggesting that you apply the patch located at:
>>
>> http://linuxtv.org/~mkrufky/pending/dvbdev-subsys-initcall.patch
>>
>> Please let us know if this fixes it for you.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help, I'll run the patch shortly.
>
> Just to clear things up completely; will I need to recompile my kernel after
> running this patch, or re-run the Chris' driver installer (or both?), or
> should I just run the patch and reboot?

Proper netiquette for mailing lists is to write your new text BELOW the
quoted content.

With that aside, I was under the impression ( based on Simon's email -
http://linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2006-June/010896.html ) that you
have compiled the cx88 driver and the dvb modules static INTO your
kernel (not as modules).  If that is the case, then you yes, you will
need to recompile your kernel after applying the patch above.

However, you're talking about some driver installer from Chris' website?
  In which case, you either DID compile these driver as modules, and the
patch above will not help you, OR you are experiencing driver conflicts
between the static in-kernel driver and the new modules from Chris' site.

Now this all sounds like a mess to me...  Let's instead start it from
the top:

#1) make sure that you have v4l and dvb stuff selected in your kernel to
build AS MODULES.

#2) forget about the patch above

#3) forget about Chris' web site

#4) build the new modules from the linuxtv.org MASTER mercurial
repository. (
http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/How_to_build_from_mercurial )

Chris' patches have already been merged into the master hg tree on
linuxtv.org

#5) reboot your computer

Good Luck!

-Mike