[linux-dvb] make dvb-pll probe for device presence

Manu Abraham abraham.manu at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 11:45:33 CEST 2006

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> That's what you get for doing random i2c bus writes...
> (But I guess no dvb/i2c card has such an EEPROM, AFAIK they are
> only used in IBM Thinkpads on the system monitoring smbus.)

Rather than just those alone, there are cases where bttv (random writes)
overwrites the EEPROM contents on some DVB cards as well. There have
been quite a lot of reports on the linux-dvb ML earlier. Many people
thought that it was the hardware just went up in smoke, but it wasn't
the hardware.

IMHO, a random write should never be attempted.