[linux-dvb] Community advice wanted on functionality for the new 'zap' command

Andrew de Quincey adq_dvb at lidskialf.net
Fri Jun 30 14:46:17 CEST 2006

Hi, I was just discussing the new zap command with Manu.. We want some advice
from the community about the functionality it should support.

Currently it does: dvb tuning + CAM control + streaming to decoder/file/dvr.

I want to add simple UDP streaming to it as well.

Manu however suggests that 'zap' should _just_ do dvb tuning + CAM control,
and that any streaming should be done by running a second application at the
same time. This would mean that the code (and the command line) for zap would
be much simpler since it would only cover the tuning. We would then have a
seperate app - 'stream' which _just_ did streaming.

I however would prefer to have zap keep the streaming to decoder/file/dvr/udp
in the same application because I find it annoying to have to start two apps
in order to stream a DVB channel.

What do you want? We can't decide.